I am Peter J. Nicholls
Not to be confused with the playwright, or indeed any other you may come across on Google. ( Such as: Alcoholics, trading standards, boat builders, critic and co-editor of The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, lead singer with the bands IQ and Niadem's Ghost, also an album cover artist, New Zealand tennis player of the 1950s.... they are not me!)
Motivation and Personal Statement:
Radio, particularly local radio, drives me. It excites and inspires me. From presenting and journalism, production and editing and beyond, the capacity of the medium to draw along side the listener to entertain and inform is stimulating and captivating. I have been involved with a wide variety of radio experiences since being at University and would like to continue with my passion for making radio within a broadcasting environment. I love interacting with people on a personal level; which is where I think radio is at it’s best. I believe my experience has given me the confidence to work alongside a range of different people and I have acquired a broad range of people skills, which are particularly relevant to a broadcasting career.
- Presenter: on Staffs Uni student radio for over three years;
- Presenter: local part time university community radio, Cre8 FM;
- Contributor: Radio WM Nikki Tapper Gospel Show;
- I have presented pop and general entertainment shows;
- I have also conducted many interviews with local people live in the studio, and pre recorded at times, sometimes at very short, no, notice;
- I also presented a regular student advice surgery, similar to the Radio One surgeries, except more attuned to the students needs.
- I also edited the student surgery and published this as a regular mp3 podcast, available on iTunes. It has exceeded 2000 downloads so far;
- Recently installed and set up Optimod PC processor at the student radio at Staffs Uni;
- Planned and implemented studio upgrades and overhaul of the wiring and systems at the station;
- Being involved in planning a new Myriad play-out system.
- I have also provided the website for Cre8 FM, and have experience in HTML, PHP and web design and development;
- I am also a very competent audio editor and have produced imaging, ads and other content for the station;
- Manager for One Media Radio, the student radio at Staffs Uni. During my time I over saw a complete rebranding and repositioning of the station and transformed it into a station that the university could be proud of and listener figures in the thousands.
Roles and Achievements:
- Primary School Teacher (Music Coordinator): 2003 – 2006
- Pheasey Park Farm Primary School, Walsall.
- I have also freelanced in many areas of production, video, sound engineering and training, website development and design.
- I have worked as a consultant to companies and businesses on how to improve their business models, strategies and online effectiveness.
- I have also freelanced as a musician and composer.
- I have recording studio experience, from very a tight budget to quite lavish production.
- Various part time jobs, including sales work.
- I have also worked as a Youth Worker, working with young people helping to motivate and support them.
- In 2001 I spent three months working in Australia as a music coordinator and youth worker at a Church in Bendigo, Victoria.
Staffordshire University (2006 – Current)
B.A. Hons. Media Production (part time)
U.C.E. [now BCU] (2003)
PGCE Secondary Music Education
Birmingham Conservatoire (U.C.E.) [now BCU] (1999)
B.Mus. Hons. Music
Great Barr Secondary School and Sixth Form (1987 – 1994)
A levels / GCSEs
- Music (B)
- General Studies (D)
- Statistics (E)
- 7 GCSE’s of C and above.
I have experience in these areas: Camera/lighting/photography, Directing, Sound Engineering, audio editing, sound design, composing, presenting, and technical and electronic aspects of radio studios. I have produced some shows in my capacity as station manager. I am also proficient in audio and video editing and post production.
I am also able to write scripts [I wrote imaging scripts for One Media Radio that were voiced by Peter Dickson, voiceover to e4 and X Factor], website and promotional copy.
I have experience in print and web [graphic] design, web programming and development.
My teaching qualification and experience make me an ideal trainer, and I have prepared many courses and session for various groups and organisations.
- Film, television and radio
- Technology and computing
- Music (playing, composing and singing)
- I am an inquisitive person by nature and always wanting to learn and develop new skills.
References available on request.
Qualifications and CERTIFICATION
- Qualified Teaching Status, Primary and Secondary (KS 3 - 5).
- CRB Checked.
- PGCE Secondary Educations (Music).
- B. Mus (hons) Music.
- Life time (composer) member of MCPS / PRS.
- Currently studying B.A. (hons) Media (Film) Production at Staffordshire University.