I keep hearing and seeing people saying “Labour just want to give everyone free stuff.” Let’s briefly take a look at this.
• Good Education for all benefits all of us and leads to greater prosperity for everyone;
• well funded health ensure that all of us benefit, being happier, more productive, and living more fulfilled lives. That benefits everyone;
• fairer benefits mean that if sickness, disability and unemployment should come, no one will be left destitute. We all benefit;
• higher minimum wage means more money to spend in the economy. We all benefit by this increase. 100 years ago even Henry Ford knew that if workers are paid more, they buy more of your goods. More jobs;
• mass machine automation is coming: we need to rethink how we structure work, payment and society. These will be in so called middle class jobs too, disrupting everything we know about how work, earnings, profit and reward are understood;
• water companies being owned by the regions means the profits get ploughed straight back in to those communities. Everyone benefits.
And so on.
The phrase “Free stuff” is utter nonsensical term. Everyone pays in one form of another, everyone benefits. If “free stuff” were even a true statement, then how would one describe the situation in Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany and so on, where tax is higher, public services and ownership so much better provided for, and quality of life, productivity, and satisfaction is very high.
What a basket case.